Senior Software Engineer (Tech Lead)
M2A Media is a London based start-up employing bright and passionate individuals who build great software. Our clients are media organisations who want the speed, flexibility and scale that public cloud solutions offer. In addition to offering great products, we help our customers to break out of traditional ways of working and move to continuous delivery through test, release and deployment automation.
Our work involves the technical handling, manipulation and delivery of top tier live sporting events such as the Champions League, Serie A, Moto GP and NFL to millions of viewers globally via ‘The Netflix of sport’, DAZN. We capture and deliver content for Channel Four, like C4 News and the Paralympics games, and surface that content on All4. If you’ve watched ‘Love Island’, ‘I’m a Celebrity’ or other live shows on ITV Hub it was also delivered for catch-up by our Live Capture product at frame-level accuracy, within minutes, to record audiences. M2A also delivers VOD syndication workflows to clients like Britbox International.
Engineering at M2A is divided between core product development and client-facing solutions. Each area is split into multiple pods of five software experts, covering analysis, development, testing, deployment and DevOps. Solution engineering teams leverage the M2A core product set and combine them into bespoke solutions for clients.
At M2A Media we recognise the importance of development and operational excellence and our approach to building software puts solutions engineering right at the centre of what we do. Due to additional demand, we are forming a new solutions engineering pod and are looking for an experienced team lead to help grow and manage this new team.
As the Solutions engineering team lead you will be responsible for delivering discrete solutions to well-defined projects for M2A Media clients. Project examples are dynamic content insertion in live sports video streams, direct to consumer device media packaging and bespoke customer schedule integrations.
– Delivering well-defined video processing software solutions to M2A clients.
– Running daily stand-ups using either a scrum or Kanban approach.
– Giving feedback to the solutions architecture team on where designs are wrong or can not be effectively implemented.
– Writing detailed work tickets (in Jira) for engineers to complete development tasks, including the definition of done and test criteria.
– Reviewing and approving your team’s work through the pull request process.
– Contribution of new code, bug fixes and configurations to projects as needed.
– Speaking directly with clients and providing technical updates on work in progress.
– Promoting agile software delivery methodologies.
– You will validate that solutions implementations delivered by your team are accurate and efficient.
– Line management of outsourced talent as well as local hires in your team.
– You will collaborate with other solutions engineering team leads, and provide cover for other team leads as required.
– Ensuring effective handover of customer-ready solutions to the operations team.
– You and your team will provide occasional rota based level 2 support to M2A Media’s solutions.
– Your team will provide detailed root cause investigation to production incidents, and where appropriate work on fixing underlying problems.
– You will share knowledge with, coach, support, and mentor your team members.
– You will report to the Head of Solutions Engineering.
– Your peers will be other team leads in Solutions Engineering.
– Your team’s output will be delivered mainly by a team of offshore Solutions Engineers who all report directly to you.
– You will interact directly with our clients’ technical contacts.
– You will work with M2A project managers on sprint planning and delivery.
Skills and Requirements
– Ability to manage a remote team of engineers.
– Proficiency in at least one programming language, preferably Python.
– You can read and critique code and have scripting capabilities.
– You understand the pull request process and be able to approve PRs.
– You will be able to demonstrate knowledge of SDLC in an agile environment.
– You will understand the DevOps transitions from code complete to production.
– You will have direct experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment systems. For example Jenkins.
– You will be able to write clear unambiguous tickets for engineers to work with.You will have hands-on experience in a cloud computing environment.
– AWS EC2 + autoscaling, Step Functions, Lamda, dDB, SQS, SNS, S3.
– AWS Media Services, MediaConvert MediaLive, MediaConnect.
– Experience with other video and audio encoding technologies, including FFmpeg or other open-source audio/video tools.
– An understanding of HLS, MPEG Dash, MPEG Transport Streams, H.264, AAC
– Knowledge of Video on Demand solutions, both direct to consumer and platform syndication.
– Live capture technology.
– Live video delivery using IP transport.
– Terraform (or other IaC)
– Python, Flask, OpenAPI
– Microservices architecture, REST, Apache, Nginx
We promote a good work-life balance through flexible and remote working options. There are regular social and sporting events organized within the team.
– 25 days holiday
– Medical insurance
– Dental insurance
– Travel insurance
– Life cover
– Company pension
– Flexible and remote working
– Company bike scheme
1. An informal conversation about your experience and expectations to see if we are the right fit for each other with the Talent Partner then the Head of Solutions Engineering.
2. Technical remote pairing exercise with two of our senior engineers
3. Face-to-face video call interview where we will ask you technical and competency-based questions.
*No Visa Sponsorships*
Please email your cv to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.