Senior Backend Software Engineer
We are a startup company making software products that are an integral part of the video streaming platforms of some of the biggest broadcasters in the world, such as DAZN, BBC, Channel4 and ITV.
Our cloud based systems are used to deliver top tier live sporting events such as the Champions League, Serie A, Moto GP and NFL to millions of viewers globally via ‘The Netflix of sport’, DAZN. If you’ve watched ‘Love Island’, ‘I’m a Celebrity’ or other live shows on ITV Hub it was delivered for catch-up by our Live Capture product at frame level accuracy, within minutes, to record audiences.
We are looking for an experienced senior backend software engineer to join us as we expand the Product Engineering team.
What You’ll Do
- Work in a cross-functional team of engineers delivering great experiences for users of our products
- Write high quality, testable, performant and secure software and APIs using Python
- Help architect and develop backend services, participating in all stages of the development process in collaboration with the team, from inception to delivery
- Work alongside the product manager and others to understand user’s needs and make improvements to the product
- Ensure code is high quality, scalable, secure, documented and follows best practicesParticipate in the code review process, pair programming and promote knowledge sharing in the team
- Mentor junior members of the team and promote a culture of best practices
- Gain experience of AWS cloud and broadcast video technologies
- 5+ years experience building and maintaining software applications written in Python
- Ability to work well in a team, collaborating effectively with others to solve problems
- Have a good understanding of fundamental and advanced programming techniques in Python
- Experience testing applications with a test driven approach using frameworks such as Pytest or similar
- Logical approach with strong analytical skills and attention to detail
Nice to have:
- Experience using AWS or another cloud provider
- Experience working with APIs and Open API specification
- Terraform, Docker, Flask, knowledge of video processing and manipulation
Our Tech Stack:
- AWS services, especially; Lambda, EC2, ECS, Step Functions, DynamoDB
- Python, Flask, OpenAPI
- TDD (Pytest) and BDD (Behave)
- Git, Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence
We are a friendly team of individuals passionate about building great products with collaboration, innovation and respect for each other. We have an inclusive environment and believe different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace and better products.
We promote a good work life balance through flexible and remote working options. There are regular social and sporting events organised within the team.
- 25 days holiday
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Travel insurance
- Life cover
- Company pension
- Flexible and remote working
- Company bike scheme
- Informal phone conversation about your experience and expectations to see if we are the right fit for each other.
- Technical remote pairing exercise with two of our senior engineers
- Face-to-face video call interview where we will ask you competency based questions
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.